Saturday, November 1, 2014

Frustrating assignment

I believe that my partner an I finished the assignment. For the most part we believe that the proofs are well formed. That the conclusion follow the statements presented. However, studying for the midterm I looked at books in order to get some extra questions to prepare. What I noticed was that each author has a different structure to the proof. The components necessary to construct a formal proof are there but the presentation is very different. I is not clear that there exists an accepted structure to proofs that most, if not all follow.

So knowing this, I wonder what is right? Do different TA's bring a different perception of what a good proof is? I am sure that an answer sheet is provided but it is unlikely that all students will have the exact same proof structure.

For instance, should a variable include a subscript when it is being instantiated? Even in this course, some have them, some do not. It is difficult to decide - so I guess to be safe we should include them.

No comments:

Post a Comment